Saunders 1865 | Will you be leaving your property vacant for an extended period?

Will you be leaving your property vacant for an extended period?


Before leaving your rented accommodation for an extended period (e.g. more than one week) it’s important to check what your tenancy agreement says about that. The tenancy agreement may impose conditions on you, the tenant.

During extended periods of absence, we advise that arrangements should be made for the property to be inspected at least once a week. This may even be required to maintain your Contents Insurance cover – something else that you should be checked in advance.

Depending on what the tenancy agreement says, you may need to formally notify the landlord that you will be away for a period of time.

If you plan to be away from your rental property between October and April, it’s important that you leave the heating on low (around 15 degrees centigrade) to allow warm air to circulate around pipes and water tanks to avoid bursts and leaks.

Do not turn off the utility supplies (Gas, Water, Electricity etc.).

Please share this info with other renters in the UK.

If you have any questions about extended period of absences, or if you’d like to consult with one of our Renter Advocates about your own situation, please CLICK HERE for our contact form.

IMPORTANT NOTICE FROM OUR LEGAL EAGLES: None of the information contained in this BLOG should be relied upon for legal purposes. Independent legal advice should always be sought according to the specific circumstances.

Contact us for a free initial consultation about your specific situation.
UK +44 20 7590 2700
Saunders 1865